Playing Stats by Year
- Makes 400th senior appearance for Liverpool in 3-1 defeat at Arsenal in September.
- Is dropped for the first time by Liverpool from the Friday night game at Tottenham in
October, being only the 28th game he has missed for the club during his Liverpool career, and wins
an immediate recall after the club lose 1-0 to Spurs.
- Is sent off for the first time in his career after retaliating in European Cup return game
with Benfica in Lisbon's Stadium of Light. Receives a 3-game ban but returns in semi-final
against Panathinaikos, making his 50th European appearance for Liverpool.
- Scores his 30th and last international goal in Scotland's 3-1 win over Spain at Hampden Park,
equalling Denis Law's record.
- Awarded the MBE for services to football in the New Year Honours List.
- Makes his 750th club appearance for Celtic and Liverpool in the 7-0 FA Cup replay win
over York City at Anfield in February.
- Makes his 300th league appearance for Liverpool in the 2-0 home win over Stoke City 3 days
- The season ends in tragedy with the deaths of 39 supporters, mostly Italian, at Liverpool's
European Cup final against Juventus in the Heysel stadium, Brussels, Belgium on 29 May 1985.
A Michel Platini penalty gave Juventus a 1-0 win victory in a match rendered irrelevant by the
tragedy. Subsequently, English clubs are banned from all European competitions for 5 years, Liverpool
having banned an extra year.
- Less than 24 hours later Dalglish is named Liverpool's new player-manager in succession to
Joe Fagan, who announced his retirement before the events of Heysel.
|World Club Championship